Important wintering area for ivory gull documented
Proximity to seals and polar bears is probably of vital importance.
PCB eliminated from the body through egg laying
But fat burning during incubation and chick-rearing releases more contaminants to the blood in kittiwakes.
Several thousand seabirds drown in Norwegian fisheries annually
And the depth at which the nets are set affects the number of birds captured.
The Svalbard fauna suffers under climate warming
Within 85 years, Svalbard will have the same climatic conditions that Denmark has today, if the current trend continues.
SEAPOP 2015 annual brochure (PDF)
A summary of important activities and results from 2015.
SEAPOP key document 2005-2014 (PDF)
A summary of the results of the SEAPOP programme and of the changes in the seabird populations.
- Key winter habitat of the ivory gull Pagophila eburnea in the Canadian Arctic.
- Temporal variation in circulating concentrations of organochlorine pollutants in a pelagic seabird breeding in the high Arctic.
- Upwind or downwind: the spring arrival of Arctic Terns Sterna paradisaea at Troms, north Norway.
- Climate change impacts on wildlife in a High Arctic archipelago – Svalbard, Norway.
- Migration and wintering of a declining seabird, the thick-billed murre Uria lomvia, on an ocean basin scale: Conservation implications.